Tuesday, January 2, 2018

On the Horizon

I can struggle with being “in the moment.” At least, at times.

I really enjoy planning things and doing things, so much so that often in the midst of great adventure my mind instinctively starts pondering what we can do next. Once I recall sitting in a double kayak, rowing out from the coast of Maine and around the Porcupine Islands with my wife. While surrounded by perfect blue water, watching a Bald Eagle fly overhead and accompanied by porpoises off to our right, I started about three statements in a row with, “Next time…”

She finally turned and smiled. “We spent three years trying to get here. How ‘bout we just enjoy what’s happening right now?”

Funny one would need such a reminder in times like those but unfortunately, I am occasionally the one. I suffer from a condition of perpetual mental motion. As busy as our lives are, I strive to fill every weekend and holiday with grand pursuits. I overbook every summer. To quote Kipling, I tend to want to “fill the unforgiving minute with sixty seconds’ worth of distance run.” My greatest fear in this ole’ life is skidding into the finish with regret over the things I didn’t do. While I feel I do well at looking forward and even reflecting back, this mentality doesn’t always lend itself to being “in the moment.”

What’s the use in planning if you can’t appreciate it when you’re in it?

I’m not much for resolutions but hey…here’s to getting better at something you’re bad at. Cheers, 2018.

And now for the reflection.

5 things from 2017 that were top shelf:


  • Driving across the country, from the Bluegrass to the far side of Utah with all the stops in between. One of my favorite summer things to do but this was the first time with whole family and dog. Planes and trains are great, but automobiles…something about a road trip.
  • Time on the Continental Divide. We got to spend several days wandering about. I feel like I have been a few places and seen some things, but I can’t get over how pretty that place is.
  • Leadville, Colorado and climbing Mount Elbert. 14ers are great to begin with but when you add in first timers/good friends, they are always memorable.
  • Passing world-renown Ultrarunner Kilian Jornet on the trail (passing him as in passing face-to-face, not passing as in I ran around him because he was too slow!).
  • Arch hunting in Utah. I have only chased arches in two places – the Red River Gorge and the Utah. It wasn’t difficult for me to fall in love with both of them. Ever since the first time I made my way to Arches and Canyonlands, I was hooked. 
- JW

No comments:

Post a Comment